Monday, June 06, 2005

Hatton Bests Tszyu

I know at this point Kostya Tszyu's loss to Ricky Hatton this past Saturday night is old news. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to write about it until now, and frankly...I still don't really want to. The thing is, I'm a fan, not a journalist. I try to focus on being a fan of the sport, and not necessarily any individual fighters. But there are certain guys I cant help rooting for, and Kostya Tszyu is one of them.

I dismissed it as "just my imagination" when I thought something didn't look quite right with Kostya Tszyu as he walked into the ring Saturday night. Either I was wrong, or just wrong about thinking I was wrong, in which case... I was right.

I'm not about to take an ounce of credit away from Ricky Hatton. He is now the reigning IBF Junior Welterweight Champ. Even Tszyu himself admitted that even though he's a "proud proud man," Ricky Hatton was the better man that night, and he was. And as hard as it is to say this.... I'm not sure Ricky is ever NOT going to be the better man against this 35 year old Tszyu. I don't want to see a rematch. As a fan of Kostya's for many years, I honestly hope he bows out gracefully, and enjoys the rest of his life in good health, with his wife and children. He's been a fighter's fighter. Fierce, compelling, a 140 pound tornado in the ring for over ten years. He's proven everything he needs to prove.

While Arturo Gatti may have a few fights left in him, it's time for the young guns of the Junior Welterweight division to duke it out. I'll be looking forward to seeing what young Ricky Hatton can do against Cotto or Mayweather. Frankly, I think the kid is more of a natural Welterweight anyway; he ought to consider eventually moving up to that division and taking on the top guys there. I think in a few short years, he could give Judah or Margarito quite a run.

Some fight notes:

I had Ricky ahead on the scorecards going into round twelve, 105-104. I can even understand the judges and media ringside who had it 106-103 (Asaro, the French judge did, as well as John Dillon, a journalist from the UK.) It was a closer fight on the cards than it was inside the ring, if that makes any sense. Hatton was relentless, effectively getting inside, landing stinging uppercuts and left hooks, brawling, and dismantling any offense or defense Tszyu tried to put together.

Hatton's strategy and execution were brilliant. Had he chosen to fight Tszyu on the outside, this would have been a completely different fight, with quite possibly a different outcome. Other than a glimmer of the old Kostya Tszyu that showed up in round three, and again at the end of round six and into seven, he was just flat, and the punches he did manage to land never really hurt Ricky Hatton much at all.

It's hard not to like either of these men, and I wish Kostya Tszyu a happy life should he decide to take off the gloves for good. I'll also be looking forward to seeing Ricky Hatton come to America for more exposure and big name fights. He seems like a good kid, and a legitimate champ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home