Saturday, June 25, 2005

Gatti/Mayweather - Random Pre-Fight Stuff

It's so rare when the mainstream media covers boxing, especially a fight that isn't in the heavyweight division, that when I see the coverage, I've got to point it out. Of course, most fans of boxing have been aware of Arturo Gatti and Mickey Ward's friendship for years, but the article has a lot of nice things to say about the two guys.

As for Gatti/Mayweather tonight, there are a couple of good articles, one from the Pasadena Star News, and one from ESPN about the jawing - mostly trash talk from Mayweather - that's been going on between the two fighters.

Of course, Maxboxing.com has excellent coverage of the fight as well, though I am surprised that 12 of 14 Maxboxing staffers have picked Mayweather to win. I have to say that I'm inclined to go with Allan Scotto on this one - Floyd may be taking this fight way too lightly. His intense dislike for Gatti might just take him off his game, too. It seems these two guys truly do NOT like each other, but I'm thinking that kind of dislike is going to work more to Gatti's advantage than Mayweather's.

Over at The Sweet Science, of the 19 staffers weighing in with predictions, 14 chose Mayweather. JE Grant, I hope you are right my friend! While I steadfastly refuse to make any predictions... this is a blog, and it's mine, and hey, it's not like I'm an actual journalist getting paid for my opinions. So, GO GATTI GO!

1 Comments:

Blogger JE Boxing said...

I couldn't have been more wrong huh?

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home