Friday, June 03, 2005

Bernard Doesn't Want Winky

Wow. I just read over at CNNSI.com that Bernard Hopkins wants three more fights before he's done - and none of them will be against Winky Wright. Wow. Said Hopkins, "It's the only fight out there that makes sense... I think it makes more sense than me and Winky Wright."

Say what? Are you kidding me, Bernard? A fight against Winky Wright is the ONLY one that makes sense. Instead, you'd rather move up to Light Heavyweight to fight the winner of Johnson/Tarver, then finish off with Roy Jones? Ok, the Jones fight would be entertaining, but it makes no sense for Roy to do it. That man has nothing left to prove. He already beat you once, and he's retired now. His legacy is already somewhat mildly tarnished by being KO'd in his last two fights (against Johnson and Tarver). Why risk making it worse? I'm just not sure the payday would be incentive enough for him. And I'm not sure I'd shell out $50 to watch it on PPV, either.

It's also worth reminding you that this "Bernard Hopkins Farewell Tour" hinges on you beating Jermaine Taylor on July 16. You might just be getting a little ahead of yourself, and that can be dangerous for a boxer. If I were Winky Wright, I'd start calling you out right now.

[Check out the new poll - over on the right]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home