Sunday, June 26, 2005

140 lb. Shakeup

Thanks to Maxboxing.com's round by round summary, I was able to keep tabs on the fight last night. Even though I'll be able to watch it next weekend, I'm not even sure I want to. From all accounts, Arturo Gatti took a hell of a beating, and was outclassed in every way possible by Floyd Mayweather.

In the last couple of weeks, the Jr. Welterweight division has seen its champ, Kostya Tszyu, dethroned by a young Ricky Hatton, followed by its number one contender, Arturo Gatti, beaten senseless by the talented Floyd Mayweather. That pretty much leaves Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, and Floyd Mayweather all vying for the top spot (at least as far as Ring Magazine rankings go). And we're not even talking about any of these guys jumping up to Welterweight to take on Mosely, Margarito, or Judah - which I think any of them could.

Yeah, for my money, the Jr. Welterweight division is turning out to be the most exciting division in boxing this year. Who needs heavyweights?

5 Comments:

Blogger NDM1978 said...

I watched the fight on Saturday, and although I am a huge Gatti fan, I have to give it up to "Pretty Boy!" This is probably one of the most one-sided fights that has gone as far as six rounds that I've ever seen. I have to say that he is probably the top pound-4-pound fighter in the world right now! I'm looking forward to seeing him in against Hatton and Cotto!

8:40 AM  
Blogger JE Boxing said...

I say Hatton will NEVER face Mayweather. Hatton's promoter would never put his meal ticket up for the kind of beating Mayweather would surely lay on him.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't see this fight happening either. Hatton's promoter is very protective over him. I can see Hatton vs Harris or Maussa or maybe even Cotto.

9:55 PM  
Blogger curlygc said...

Yeah, I agree too. I'm not even sure if Hatton's guy will let him fight Cotto. At least not yet.

10:35 PM  
Blogger NDM1978 said...

You guys are probably right! That's the sad truth in boxing today, Hatton and Cotto are the best fights out there for Mayweather, but because there is so much politics in boxing today they usually don't happen! Long gone are the days of taking on all comers!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home