Friday, May 13, 2005

Retired Boxers Foundation

I just spent a little over an hour on the phone with Jacquie Richardson and Alex "The Bronx Bomber" Ramos of the Retired Boxers Foundation. These are two of the coolest boxing people on the planet. I called them to get some more information regarding a press release they sent out on the California State Athletic Commission. We ended up talking about that, and boxing in general, James Toney, the Corrales/Castillo fight, the fact that I'm from Jersey and Alex lived there for awhile, and RBF's Mike Indri lives there too. Everything. And I think I could have easily talked another couple of hours. Anyway, it was a great conversation with fascinating and friendly people. I want to give them both a shout out, to let them know that I'll do anything I can to help out the Foundation, because they are doing incredible work.

So, to all of you boxing fans out there, the RBF could really use our support. Just go to their website to find out what they're doing and how you can help. As a fan of the sport, I wish with all my heart that boxers had better futures waiting for them once they leave the ring. The sad fact is, most fighters are not raking in huge sums of money. Many suffer from boxing-related medical problems, and have a tough time making the transition to life outside the ring. The RBF helps with housing, financial assistance, rehabilitation, literacy programs, and more.

As for the California State Athletic Commission: In a nutshell, it looks like the Commission is being run by incompetents, and is a real mess. California legislators in their infinite wisdom are looking to just scrap it entirely rather than fix it properly. I'll have more to write about this in the very near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home