Saturday, May 21, 2005

Lamon Was Relentless

Surprisingly, for a fight that lasted only fifty-three seconds, I actually have a lot to say about it. First, who was that guy that came out swinging like a wrecking ball at Andrew Golota? Lamon Brewster? Really? That was not a Lamon Brewster I've ever seen before. But I can say without a doubt, that is a Lamon Brewster I absolutely want to see again! That's the Brewster I'd love to see knock the hell out of John Ruiz, or take on Vitali Klitschko. Those left hooks were simply stunning.

On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed for Andrew Golota. Win or lose, I wanted to see Golota overcome his doubts and fears, and let go of all that psychological baggage he's been lugging around for the better part of his career. In a way he did - you have to give him credit for getting up and getting back in there twice. Especially after the second knockdown, which just about knocked him clear out of the ring. He even looked ready to get up a third time before referee Geno Rodriguez called a halt to the bout. But fifty three seconds is hardly time enough for the kind of test that Golota, his fans, and boxing writers were hoping for.

Before that fight I felt like I was ready to write a book about Andrew Golota. But now I feel like Lamon Brewster just snatched the pen out of my hand and ate it. In fifty-three seconds, Brewster's Heavyweight division stock soared, while Golota's final shot at redemption in the shape of an arguably worthless WBO title belt hit the canvas harder than his 248 pound frame. A part of me desperately wants to see him try again, but he is 37 years old after all. Old for any athlete; ancient for a boxer. Either way, I will not be surprised if he retires, or if he needs to stick around for one more fight. That tends to happen with boxers who have something left to prove. There's always one more fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home