Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Castillo/Corrales - Marquez/Polo Predictions

I'm approaching this fight by the stats, because my gut isn't telling me much of anything. This is not an easy fight to call. About the only thing I can say for sure, which wouldn't be a news flash to anyone, is that it's going to be a close one. Jose Luis Castillo is ranked the world's number one Lightweight. Diego "Chico" Corrales is number two. The only real advantage Corrales has over Castillo is that he's three inches taller. Other than that, they're similar enough in age, weight, and reach to be as close to evenly matched as they come. Both fighters have losses to Floyd Mayweather in common, but Floyd knocked Diego down five times before Diego's corner threw in the towel in the tenth round. Castillo fought Mayweather twice and went the distance both times, only to lose close and somewhat controversial decisions.

It's probably also worth mentioning that both of these men fought Joel Casamayor twice. Castillo beat him both times, and Corrales lost the first fight but won the second. Corrales has a little bit of ring rust, his last fight being back in August of last year when he defeated Acelino Freitas. Castillo is coming off of a decisive victory over Julio Diaz just this past March.

Using Mayweather as a yardstick, and coupled with Castillo's recent performances against Diaz and Casamayor, I guess I'm not really sure why Diego Corrales is favored slightly in this fight. I get it that he's hungry for another shot at Mayweather. I understand the appeal of rooting for the guy - he's had a rough couple of years. It's good to see him getting his life and career back together, and if he takes Castillo's lightweight title, then good for him. I just don't see it happening. Jose Luis Castillo is a warrior with a lot of heart, and an underrated fighter at that. I'm picking Castillo on the cards after twelve great rounds.

As for Marquez/Polo: Polo's southpaw style and reach advantage would make a difference against a less talented fighter, but Juan Manuel Marquez has talent to spare. Marquez will find Polo's weak jaw by the fourth round and Polo will find himself on the canvas.

1 Comments:

Blogger NDM1978 said...

Hey, I've finally found some fellow boxing bloggers and I like the work that you are doing here!! As I can clearly see, you definately have a passion for the sport as I do. I will put a link to your page at eastcoastboxing.blogspot.com. I hope to hear from you.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home