Monday, May 09, 2005

Castillo/Corrales I - An Instant Classic

It's only May, and we might have already seen the fight of the year. I don't think I yelled and generally carried on so much during a fight since the legendary Ward/Gatti trilogy. Diego Corrales now owns the WBO and WBC Lightweight Championship belts, and he'll very likely own Ring Magazine's ranking as their undisputed Lightweight Champ, too. Corrales proved he was not only the better fighter on May 7th, but that he had a will that would simply not be denied. What I want to know now is, when's the rematch?

I had this fight scored dead even going into the 10th round. When Chico went down twice, I had it 10-7, and briefly thought that the only way he could possibly win the fight was if he knocked Castillo out. Which he did about ten seconds later. Tony Weeks probably saved Castillo from getting very seriously injured. He was up against the ropes looking like a rag doll. It was a good stoppage.

Even though Corrales came out the victor in the end, this fight speaks volumes as to what both of these men are made of. They are a rare breed; true warriors who just don't know the word quit. Both were bruised and bloodied, but never gave up. I created my own scorecard that I use when I watch and score a fight. I take notes on each round for later reference. For round 8, the only thing I had written was "Jeez!" Round 9: "Crap!" Round 10 was completely blank because my clipboard ended up across the room.

From now on, when people ask me why I love boxing, I am just going to say "just watch Castillo/Corrales I" - that fight embodies everything that is beautiful and ugly and simply breathtaking about this sport.

Hats off to both Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo. They are both Champions in my book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful and ugly and simply breathtaking indeed. I found myself recoiling from the television as they pounded away on each other. When it was all done I was exhausted, and I have to admit that for a moment I agreed with Joe Goosen that "These two should never fight each other again."

But now, on second thought... when's the rematch?

And yes, bravo to Tony Weeks for letting them fight but not letting them get hurt. He did a great job.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home